Sunday, May 19, 2013

As an independent brick and mortar Michigan business, we are required to charge sales tax and pass that money on to the Michigan Treasury. There's nothing to complain about - - - in part, it's how our state funds all the services it provides. Little things like roads and parks and state cops and EVERYTHING else our state government provides. We don't exactly LIKE it, but it's how things work. Opponents of internet taxation cite the impossibility of managing the countless tax districts throughout the nation, calling that an unfair burden that hurts their ability to run their businesses. They justify the advantage they have over the likes of Chelsea, indifferent to the unfairness that exists to enable THEM. This inappropriate government-granted exemption is a part of their business model, and I submit that it needs to be challenged. But my bigger question is "Why is there no public outcry about the siphoning off of Michigan capital to out-of-state companies that refuse to help us have a prosperous state?" Why is our government not calling for an additional tariff, even, to put the advantage on the side of the businesses that ALSO employ Michigan residents, pay Michigan real estate taxes, utilize the services of countless tiers of Michigan businesses that ALSO employ Michigan residents and so on and so on? Very seriously, it appears to me that far too few are connecting the dots. We're hollowing out the "tree" of Michigan's economy, sending our capital elsewhere, depriving our state of operating funds, and hurting Michigan businesses. All the while, complaining that the economy around here is not so good. When I talk about this, I'm careful to stress that I'm not tasking about supporting Chelsea, per se. I patronize local restaurants wherever I go. I get more satisfaction out of shopping local. I know that my choices are helping each local economy that I spend my money in. It's not a theory, it's not an abstract concept - - - it's VERY real, and it applies each and every time I make a buying choice. Look at this chart, focusing on restaurants and draw your own conclusions. Money spent at independents makes more of a positive impact on the health of Michigan, PERIOD. Better than at any chain store or restaurant, and infinitely better than internet choices. Think about it! More information at www.amiba.net and www.independentwestand.com.

No comments: